Friday, February 20, 2009

The things kids come up with.......

OK so having all these boys running around my house, I'm trying to get some order. So we made a chore list. They stated what they think they should be responsible for and these things was distributed amongst each of them, in rotation, for a 5 day span. Off on the weekends!!! Along with the chores, they get added bonuses for doing the "lil extras" such as a good deed, bringing up their grades from one grade period to the next, going a full day without arguing with each other, or me, and so on....so basically I'm trying to instill that good behavior can have some rewards also. My only problem is .....I need rewards, incentive, to make them want to do these things daily...although I know my praise for all the help, will do some good, these boys, well they need that extra push!! So I did what any sane person would do, I asked them what they would want..toys excluded....
I got general ideas such as going places, doing things, of course money enters the picture.

Well the funniest thing my almost 9 year old brings to the table is:

If you pay us $5 a day, at the end of each week we can give you some money to help with bills and things around the house. So I look at him, and say "so, you want me to pay you to do chores, and in return you basically pay me rent?" He says "YES!" Isn't that just the cutest thing!! Needless to say $5 a day is not going to happen. Although I am considering giving so many dollars over time and teaching them the importance of saving.

Here's a looksy at our chore chart.......
It includes chores, expectations, bonuses, their last grades, so they know what they need to come up in, and my oldest is in band, so you also see his practice daily sheets. The little papers at the bottom, are what they use to document what they have done and when. If they don't fill one out they don't get credit, for what ever reward, that I have not come up with yet, they may want to earn.

SO any input on incentives, or even just making this a better system, would be nice. Hopefully this will work for us!!!

4 comments:

  1. For the most part you have a system here, rewards would depend on what they really want or like to do. Wow! Great plan you have here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have been such a blogging slacker this week, please don't be mad at me for taking forever to read this... I haven't been on the computer for hardly anything but work this week!

    And I think this is an awesome idea, you definitely want them to be responsible around the house! The only part I'm not a hundred percent about is the writing on the paper part. Here's why... you don't want them to get the mindset that they have to be rewarded for every small act of kindness/chore they perform.. that could get exhausting for you... and their future wives! LOL ;) Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't thinking about it that way...I was hoping it would get them in the mindset to be more thoughtful about what they are doing...know what I mean? They get such a mean streak at times, I thought that may help make them think 1st...hmm so any ideas on how to work on that???

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet child...that was extra adorable...i love your chart!!! you could add as another reward the role of "supervisor" for a week where the boy gets to supervise the other children

    ReplyDelete